Native American Ministries Sunday will be celebrated across The United Methodist Church on May 1, 2022. These resources will support your observance of this important special offering.
Cynthia Mosely of Fordville, St. John UMC, Bridgeton, NJ, is excited about Native American Ministries Sunday. St. John’s, a Native American congregation, is a vibrant community of 185 families (an increase of 50 families) that occurred during the pandemic as pastor Roy Bundy moved services online to support the needs of church members. With this growth, the church has also increased the amount of food they serve to the community in their immediate area.
“Perhaps its greatest benefit [of Native American Ministries Sunday], said Mosely, is the chance for “the general church family [to] learn and understand more about the Native American community right here in New Jersey. We share our drums, our dancers, our speakers, and our love of the Creator with everyone.”
This special Sunday is three weeks away!
Here are resources and ideas that you can use to make the worship services extra special.
- Ask your congregation to pray special prayers for the Native American community and for the strength of ministries in the Michigan Conference:
- Pray for Native American seminarians as they study to serve God effectively.
- Utilize the Offering Talk during the offertory.
- Using the Liturgy will draw your members closer to God and to our church community.
- Consider inviting Native American person(s) to participate in a small group discussion; download the Adult Discussion group questions and use them as a guide to learn from one another.
- Children’s Message, Bulletin, and Activity provide new ways to teach our children about God’s love for all persons and lay an excellent biblical foundation in their hearts.
- The Youth Resource Guide provides event ideas and activities that will help them grow closer to God and their neighbor.
- Post Social Media Graphics on your social media platform to inspire members and visitors to participate in the celebration.
Thank you for your commitment to God’s word and the ministry of The United Methodist Church. Your gifts to the Native American Ministries Sunday offering provide scholarships for seminarians and outreach within The Michigan Conference and empower congregations to find fresh, new ways to engage their communities with Christ’s love.