Step 1. Call your DS!
Before you take action, call your district superintendent. They will begin the process of alerting the conference that you need help. Make sure they contact the Conference Director of Communications immediately.
Step 2. Call Disaster Response
We’ve Had A Disaster, Now What?
- Assess general situation and physical needs of people and area and forward initial assessment to the District Superintendent and the District Disaster Response Coordinator.
- Establish contact with the local Emergency Management Team as soon as possible.
- Provide specific needs assignments within 24 hours.
- Begin seeking response to needs, general and specific.
- Coordinate relief efforts on a local basis.
- Provide the Conference Communications team with photos, or permission to use photos of disaster. Provide names and contact information for members of the community that can share their experience.
- Contact pastor(s) involved and the District Disaster Response Coordinator as soon as possible.
- Receive report of pastor(s).
- Contact the Conference Director of Communications to post response plans on social media.
- Plan a date for an on-site visit.
- Conduct an on-site visit.
- Coordinate relief efforts for the District.
- Contact the Conference Disaster Response Coordinator and gather or take photos, or get permission to use photos of disaster. Provide names and contact information for members of the community that can share their experience.
- Conduct an on-site visit or send a representative.
- Work in consultation with the Bishop to coordinate communication efforts.
- Contact the Director of Communications.
- Meet within 72 hours of the disaster.
- Receive reports, request funds and dispense funds as necessary and available.
- Contact District Superintendents
- Request funds from UMCOR, if needed.
- Coordinate with Conference Director of Communications.
- Post immediate social media on response plan.
- Plan for coverage with local reporters.