The Wayne C. Barrett Steward Leader Award honors up to four United Methodist congregations each year for their exemplary stewardship ministry.
The United Methodist Foundation of Michigan is still accepting applications for the Wayne C. Barrett Steward Leader Award until March 15th. Selected churches will receive grants of $2,500.00.
The Wayne C. Barrett Steward Leader Award was established by action of the Board of Directors of the Foundation upon Dr. Barrett’s retirement as President and Executive Director. The award honors up to four United Methodist congregations across the Michigan Conference for their exemplary stewardship ministry and culture of generosity.
Qualified applicants must submit an application prior to March 15, 2022 for consideration for the 2022 awards. Click here for the application form.
Award recipients must meet a number of eligibility requirements including:
- Have funds invested in the UMF Collective Investment Funds of Michigan LLC
- Have contributed 100% of its conference ministry shares for the previous year and be current in contributions for the present fiscal year
- Demonstrate a collaborative relationship between the pastor and laity in providing leadership in the area of financial stewardship
- Articulate a clearly defined mission and vision for the church
- Adhere to the financial procedures and protocol as defined in the Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church, including but not limited to:
- Socially responsible investing
- Annual financial review
- Cash management
- IRS-compliant donor contribution statements
- Provide an advance indication of their intent for the awarded funds’ usage.
Award recipients shall be selected by the Awards Committee of the Foundation’s Board of Directors and notified in early May. Awards will be presented by a member of the Foundation staff to local church leaders during a worship service or other appropriate occasion.
Direct any questions to the Foundation office 888-451-1929 or [email protected]