Still have questions?
If you have questions, or need assistance finding materials, or if you have a suggestion for a great resource to share please contact Lisa Batten.
Check out our playlist
This playlist consists of songs that have been posted in the MIUMC Young Adult Ministry Facebook Page. It's music that will feed your soul and fuel your week.
LET'S GET STARTED!
Everything you need is right here. Just click on any of the items below to download or visit the latest resources for local churches.
YOUNG ADULT RESOURCES
- MI UMC Young Adult Ministry Facebook Page, Connect with other Young Adults in the Michigan Conference of the UMC, view posts regarding internships/job opportunities, have access to the articles posted weekly to the page.
- Apply to be a Global Mission Fellow, this program is a 2-year mission opportunity for young adults ages 20-30. Participants are invited to engage with the local communities, connect the church in mission, and grow in personal and social holiness. This program allows for transformation and leadership development to take place while addressing root causes of social injustices with other young people from around the world.
Articles and Books
- Vocation, Frederick Buechner - frederickbuechner.com
- Let Your Life Speak, Parker Palmer
- Peregrinatio, Pilgrimage Celtic Style, Catherine Hommes - Culture Honey
- The True Hard Work of Love and Relationships, Krista Tippett feat. Alain de Botton - On Being Podcast
- Not Dealing with Problems & Hard Emotions, Kalyn Nicholson - Kalyn's Coffee Talk Podcast
- Four Questions to Help You Find Your Calling, Oprah Winfrey feat. Steven Pressfield - SuperSoul Sunday
LOCAL CHURCH RESOURCES
- Young Adult Ministry in the Church, Jason Hale - LifeWay
- From the Ground Up: Beginning a Young Adult Ministry from Scratch, Dennis Franck - Relevant Magazine
- Young Adult Ministry: Let the Babysitting Cease, Gary E. Russell - Ministry Magazine
- You Lost Me: Reconnect Christianity with Teens and Young Adults, David Kinnaman and Barna Group - Watch a promo for the book here
- Growing Young: Six Essential Strategies to Help Young People Discover and Love Your Church, Kara Powell, Jake Mulder, Brad M. Griffin
101: So your church wants to start a young adult ministry?
The workshop includes resources for discernment on whether to begin a ministry with young adults, how to move forward, or creating a ministry team that will help create a culture, within the church, for young adult ministry.
202: Our church is ready for young adults, where are they?
The workshop provides resources to identify young adult groups within the community where your church resides, current trends, and getting outside of the church walls to reach young adults.
303: We are reaching young adults, now what?
Young adult ministry is "ministry with" not "ministry to". The workshop will provide resources that will help your church integrate young adults into the life of the church, how to navigate the tensions that will arise, and effective evaluation of ministry.