Thanks to Rev. Alicea Williams for curating this playlist!
Need something else?
Need another resource? Looking for advice? Please contact Kathy Pittenger.
A Good Neighbor
With all the unrest right now in our country, being a good neighbor is more important than ever. What is a good neighbor? What does being a good neighbor look like? Below you will find scripture, videos, music, and activities to help you be a good neighbor to all.
- Read the story of The Good Samaritan in your favorite Bible Story book (like the Deep Blue Bible Storybook) or in Luke 10:25-37.
- In Jesus' time, people from Samaria (Samaritans) were considered second class citizens. They were not viewed in a positive way and many Jewish people would avoid contact with people from Samaria at any cost. (Adults: learn more about Samaritans.)
- Wonder about the story together:
- I wonder what the lawyer thought when Jesus said, "go and do likewise."
- I wonder what part of the story is the most important part.
- I wonder who you relate to in the story.
- I wonder who a "Samaritan" is in your life.
- Dear God, thank you for stories in the Bible that teach us about how to be a good neighbor. Help us to see when we treat others unfairly. Help us to be bold when we need to stand up with and for others. In Jesus' Name, Amen.
One way that we can be a good neighbor is caring for those around us, even if we may not agree with everything that they do or say. There is much racial unrest right now. If you have not had a conversation with your children about race and racism or you just aren't sure where to start, check out these playlists for parents and families.
The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss
Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson
Last Updated on October 27, 2022