- This event has passed.
WEBINAR: Welcoming New Afghan Neighbors: A How-To for Local Churches
October 14 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pmFree
In the coming weeks, over 1,000 refugees from Afghanistan will be arriving in Michigan. Is your church or faith community interested in welcoming them but doesn’t know where to start?
The Michigan Conference of The United Methodist Church is hosting a webinar that will help in your hospitality efforts. Welcoming New Afghan Neighbors: A How-To for Local Churches will be held on Thursday, October 14th from 1pm -2pm. Leaders from the church and community will share what is happening across the state and practical ways to be supportive. This webinar will be recorded and available for later viewing.
The panel discussion will be hosted by the Rev. Alice Fleming Townley, Conference Ministry Consultant and co-founder of the All Faith Alliance for Refugees (AFAR).
- Beth Birkholz, Director of Congregational Engagement at Samaritas, Detroit
- Judi Harris, Director of Refugee Services at St. Vincent Catholic Charities, Lansing
- Katie Carpenter, Community Engagement & Co-Sponsor Developer, Refugee Resettlement, Bethany Christian Services of Michigan, Grand Rapids
- Yusuf, President, the Afghan Association of Michigan, Kalamazoo
- Becky Beauchamp, Executive Director of Justice for Our Neighbors- Traverse City
Click here for a flyer to use when inviting others to participate in the webinar.
Register Now: https://bit.ly/NewAfghanNeighborsOct21